Yes, I waited until February 1st to establish some writing goals. I had to sort out what I really wanted/needed first.
That’s actually pretty tough, if you think about it. There’s a lot of stuff that we want, but sometimes we are blind to what we need. I went into 2012 with a much more narrow focus as far as writing goes.
A lot of the things I have that are writing related are useful, but not what I actually need. I had a domain name, a blog (four of them, actually), an ever-growing library of writing books and Korean books, a Twitter page, a Facebook page…you know, stuff. Guess what I didn’t have?
A finished manuscript.
You see, I spent a lot of 2011 acquiring writing-related stuff. It’s not that these things aren’t important, because they are. However, they don’t mean jack if you don’t have a polished manuscript to publish anywhere. Is BLAQUE finished? Eh, more or less…and there’s the problem. I know it isn’t ready, I know it can be a little tighter. I have to rewrite the ending (no biggie, I’ve written it before…it just got lost…when my last computer imploded…).
See what I just did? I made excuses. That’s the problem. As far as writing goes, 2011 was the Year of Excuses. It was because of fear: fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of success. I thought up every reason I could to delay this, even after I finished the freaking series in last year’s Nanowrimo. Somehow, though, I’m still sitting here, staring at Draft #3 of BLAQUE.
Enough is enough. Here, for your amusement and my focus, are my 2012 Writing Goals:
- FINISH the damn book. Seriously, Angel. Finish. The. Damn. Book.
- I was going to say ‘Get An Agent,’ but I need to take baby steps here. Since I cannot control an agent’s decisions, I will say that I will submit query letters to at least eight different agents with interest in thrillers.
- Attend one writing conference this year. I have my sights on one in particular, but we’ll see.
- In lieu of number three, pitch my novel to at least three agents at said conference. If I don’t make it to the conference, those three will be moved to my query list.
- Enter a writing contest. I’ve never had the guts to do that.
What are your writing goals for 2012?